Archive for the ‘recycled textile’ Category

I was given a doll made with twigs, some paper mache and printed fabric.   It is quirky and fun.   And I had a ‘hmmmmm’ moment.   Plus we were gathering autumn twigs for the fire and it just seemed to all come together.

I then made some fimo faces (from a Sculpey mould) and painted them.  The wondrous thing about making these dolls is that you can use the smallest pieces of fabric.  And that’s a great thing when one has a mountain of small pieces of fabric!   I wanted to use beautiful fabric – so far the dolls have been made with pieces of silk, sari silk, dmc threads, a variety of ribbons and of course I just couldn’t help myself – a wee bit of beading.   Coming together nicely I think.




Read Full Post »










Some time ago I was lucky enough to purchase a mega stash of fabric sample books.   Some of them are quite heavy furnishing fabric and not quite right to use for the usual sewing projects.    But the colours are wonderful and I am really loathe to pass them on.   So I thought a rustic rug might be just the thing.  I sewed the pieces onto a backing of a recycled wool batting from a vintage obi and then onto a thickish cotton.  Once all sewn I then embroidered over the seams with red wool and sewed a red twill tape around the edges.    It’s  a bit rough and ready,  as it was a quick experiment,  but I am happy with the result and may just do another (there’s definitely plenty of fabric).     For now it will sit on the floor of the guest bedroom, although I think Belle, our dog,  would like to lay claim to it.

Read Full Post »

Oops,  where did all that time go!    Not too much out of the studio in the last few months,  with the last 2 things being a birthday present.



First up is a little zipper bag.A little bling Sue asked me what it was for,  well,  whatever you want it to be.   Maybe some jewellery,  maybe some special silk knickers,  perhaps a bit of makeup.  Yikes,  the possibilities are endless.  The centre of the bow and the pocket inside are a beautiful rich red silk.  The little bling out of my (evergrowing) stash of beads and baubles.  The body of the bag is a heavy damask type fabric.






For the past 6 weeks or so I have been working on a shoulder bag, experimenting with leather (which you can’t really see in the photos),  and using up small scraps of fabric that aren’t quite big enough to do anything else with.   The leather is on the side of the bag and the bottom.   One I had all the sides finished and the lining completed,  it was a pretty tough ask on the sewing machine to sew through all the layers.   Certainly has given me ideas of how to make the next bag a bit simpler.   I also experimented with a zip top on the bag,  not quite so easy as it looks,  but ok if you take it one step at a time.    I debated whether to give it away or not,  as it isn’t perfect and I’m not sure on the longevity of the sewing on the leather areas.   However, Sue is a seasoned receiver of my ‘experiments’ – so thank you darling for loving it.

Red Leather Bag1



This is the front of the bag.  The panels were sewn onto an interfacing background, using a fine satin stitch.  A couple of small doily pieces added, along with a few beads,  and a line of bright red pompoms to lighten it up.


The strap is red leather with a little of the backing fabric on the ends (easier to sew).    The lining is a deep red taffeta, with a small inside pocket.









The back of the bag is from one piece of fabric.  Difficult to see in this photo,  but I have embroidered some parts of it in gold thread and outlined the large flower in red thread.  You can just glimpse the red leather sides.

Read Full Post »

Just about to update the blog, months late of course, and found this sitting in Drafts.   Oops.  Goodness knows how long it has been there, waiting for the day to burst upon the world.   And do you know what,  I STILL haven’t decided what is going to go inside it!!  How bad am I.

This fabric box was inspired by lots of fabric leftovers that I have had sitting around for too long.   it was made a few months ago,   but sat there on my desk waiting for a closure.   Until today.    Made the “dangle” from some of the red silk fabric used on the box.  The top is a d-ring covered with embroidery thread with beading hanging from the bottom.  The beads are a selection from my collection, including a swavorski pearl and crystal.   Lining is purple felt with a padded insert at the bottom of the box.   Now,  what shall i put in it???



Read Full Post »

The Blues

Haven’t really got the blues,  though just spent a long weekend in Brisbane and feel kind of blue that I can’t be there all the time!    Had a blast, with wonderful friends, and already looking forward to the next time – though sadly nothing planned right now.

Made a box quite some time ago , which I have called The Blues.  Because it was a birthday present for a friend I have had to wait to put it up, just in case she peeked!    Some months ago I bought a book called Beginners Guide to Embroidered Boxes by Janet Edmonds (Search Press).   Fell in love with the boxes and was totally inspired.  The Blues is the first fabric box I made.    It is a five sided box.  The fabric was bought in a second hand shop in Fiji with birthday friend and then has been beaded with seed beeds and sequins.   The cords at the top were beaded onto wire so they would stand up – that wasn’t 100% successful so need to find an improvement.  Overall though I loved the box and more importantly so did Sue.


And, a side view:


Now back to my doll!  Almost finished,  so with any luck another post very soon……….

Read Full Post »